HC-05 – Bluetooth Module
HC-05 6 Pin Wireless Serial Bluetooth Module is a Bluetooth module for use with any microcontroller. It uses the UART protocol to make it easy to send and receive data wirelessly. The HC-05 is a very cool module which can add two-way (full-duplex) wireless functionality to your projects. You can use this module to communicate between two microcontrollers like Arduino or communicate with any device with Bluetooth functionality like a Phone or Laptop. There are many android applications that are already available which makes this process a lot easier. The module communicates with the help of USART at 9600 baud rate hence it is easy to interface with any microcontroller that supports USART. We can also configure the default values of the module by using the command mode. So if you looking for a Wireless module that could transfer data from your computer or mobile phone to microcontroller or vice versa then this module might be the right choice for you. However do not expect this module to transfer multimedia like photos or songs; you might have to look into the CSR8645 module for that.
The HC-05 has two operating modes, one is the Data mode in which it can send and receive data from other Bluetooth devices and the other is the AT Command mode where the default device settings can be changed. We can operate the device in either of these two modes by using the key pin as explained in the pin description. It is very easy to pair the HC-05 module with microcontrollers because it operates using the Serial Port Protocol (SPP). Simply power the module with +5V and connect the Rx pin of the module to the Tx of MCU and Tx pin of module to Rx of MCU.During power up the key pin can be grounded to enter into Command mode, if left free it will by default enter into the data mode. As soon as the module is powered you should be able to discover the Bluetooth device as “HC-05” then connect with it using the default password 1234 and start communicating with it. The name password and other default parameters can be changed by entering into the command mode.
- Wireless communication between two micro-controllers
- Communicate with Laptop, Desktops and mobile phones
- Data Logging application
- Consumer applications
- Wireless Robots
- Home Automation
- Enable / Key: This pin is used to toggle between Data Mode (set low) and AT command mode (set high). By default it is in Data mode
- Vcc: Powers the module. Connect to +5V Supply voltage
- Ground: Ground pin of module, connect to system ground.
- TX – Transmitter: Transmits Serial Data. Everything received via Bluetooth will be given out by this pin as serial data.
- RX – Receiver: Receive Serial Data. Every serial data given to this pin will be broadcasted via Bluetooth
- State: The state pin is connected to on board LED, it can be used as a feedback to check if Bluetooth is working properly.
- LED: Indicates the status of Module ; Blink once in 2 sec: Module has entered Command Mode ; Repeated Blinking: Waiting for connection in Data Mode ; Blink twice in 1 sec: Connection successful in Data Mode
- Button: Used to control the Key/Enable pin to toggle between Data and command Mode
Weight 8 g Dimensions 27 × 13 × 2.2 mm Use Serial Bluetooth module for Arduino and other microcontrollers Operating Voltage 5V Operating Current 30mA Range Maximum 10 meters Protocol IEEE 802.15.1 Spectrum Frequency-Hopping Spread spectrum (FHSS) Operating Modes Master, Slave or Master/Slave mode Baud Rates (Supported) 9600,19200,38400,57600,115200,230400,460800